Skip to content

Wood Pallet Room Divider

September 7, 2010

Update 7/12/11
Thank you to everyone who finds this page through google, stumbleupon or pinterest (among others). It is by far the most-visited page on my blog! I never thought this project would be so popular! Please leave a comment below with your thoughts!!

—————

Inch by inch, the master bedroom is coming together. We still lack a headboard (looking for the perfect wrought-iron one at the perfect price takes patience) and we are in a rut when it comes to a couple of blank walls, BUT(!) we have divided up the enormous room into half-bedroom half-workspace by constructing a room divider like so:

While in Boston, we saw something like this in a fancy modern furniture store, retailing somewhere between $200-$300. Yikes! Knowing that we could make one ourselves, Doug surprised me one Saturday with pallets (free) which he had assembled like you see here!

After a bit of finessing and perfecting, we moved them into place where they sat blank for over a month. I simply didn’t have enough to hang on them and didn’t want to just do part. So patiently I accumulated New York-themed hangings and finally last weekend hung them on the wall. Using small nails and binder clips meant I didn’t have to buy frames for anything I didn’t want to poke holes in (like the RENT poster). This method of hanging also means I can switch out and add new things easily!

Now if only the perfect headboard would fall right into my lap… actually, that would probably really hurt…

Here is a wider shot of the divider in action. It was the perfect height and length to divide up a huge room into two normal-sized rooms for the office and bedroom.

54 Comments leave one →
  1. Athena permalink
    September 7, 2010 1:57 pm

That’s an interesting style idea–to use the nails and clips. I think it’d be especially good for people who like to theme their houses for the holidays, because of the ease of interchanging the pieces of art/decoration. =D

2. Jean permalink
    September 7, 2010 9:21 pm

I think the clip idea would be great for dorm rooms, as well, using push pins and then hanging posters on the push pins utilizing clips. . .

3. Heather permalink
    January 24, 2012 12:56 am

so simple and so great! Thanks for posting , I am going to try this for my patio.

• Staci permalink
      January 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks, Heather! I love the idea of using these outside but would be curious if they should be weather treated. I am planning on moving these outdoors when I get a good 1960s style buffet or china cabinet to put where they are now (in my new place).

4. February 24, 2012 2:06 pm

how did you put the pallets together, hinges etc…are the outside egdes smoothed and finished or just left rough…I love this idea!!! I have a yard full of pallets!!!

• Staci permalink
      February 24, 2012 2:40 pm

The edges are rough, but it helps that the pallets we used are relatively new and clean! I have snagged a sweater on the rough wood when I got too close though.
      They are held on top of each other by hinges put on the “wrong” way, two on each set of pallets, although any strong straight metal would work. We used hinges because they already had holes in them.
      There are large triangle-shaped hinges holding them together in the middle which means we can change its angle if we need to. Also, it folds in half, which was handy when we moved it to our new place!

• Gina permalink
        July 30, 2014 11:23 am

why not sand them and, maybe, pay the or clear coat to protect it? As for stabilizing you can drill wholes and use a really nice rope put through whole make know to big to fit through whole on underside then either use a hook stewed into a beam or one type of fittings pvc or even staples to ceiling. maybe nail to wall if close enough or nail it floor. I’m just guessing at what whorls I do. I love palettes but all need TLC to avoid splinters not change there look.

• August 1, 2014 12:53 pm

Some great ideas here! Thanks Gina!

5. Serina permalink
    March 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Great idea! Do you have a picture of how they are held together?

6. April 9, 2012 5:41 pm

Hello ,Are these supported behind with anything or do they stand up easily alone ? Thanks

• Staci permalink
      April 9, 2012 9:43 pm

If you bend them where the two panels meet, they are more stable. Of course there is danger of them falling, depending on what velocity they are hit at. Mine were stable for many months arranged this way. I do not recommend straightening them out because then it will be very wobbly. If you want to straighten it out it’ll need some other kind of support, possibly attached to another wall, ceiling, or extensions on the floor.

7. April 16, 2012 10:05 pm

i am going to build a fence like this

• Staci permalink
      April 17, 2012 8:46 am

I love the idea of a fence like this!!!

8. Kim permalink
    August 24, 2012 8:36 pm

What are the dimensions? I was hoping to do this on an ugly wall we have at our wedding venue. Can’t attach anything so we could make our own wall!

• August 24, 2012 8:39 pm

I’m not positive on the dimensions since its currently packed up and put away, but I’d say each pallet was somewhere around 3 to 4 feet? I bet you could make one like this no problem!

9. Amy permalink
    September 2, 2012 12:37 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this. I want to separate my washer and dryer from the rest of my garage so I can have my own little space for laundry(rent houses lol) and this would be perfect!

• September 2, 2012 1:29 pm

That would be perfect!! You could even screw some hooks onto the pallets to hold drip-dry items!

10. marciagarcia67 permalink
    September 2, 2012 3:55 pm

LOVE the clip idea. Pinned it and plan on using it :) Found your site through Design Milk’s Facebook Page, FYI…

• September 2, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by to say hi, and thanks for letting me know it was on Design Milk! Looks like I had a lot of “nays” but I suppose wood pallets are not for everyone. The nail and clip idea, however, I think can be applied in tons of different settings!

11. Valery permalink
    September 3, 2012 1:06 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I’m actually using one of these in my wedding! One side will have photos of me as a child, and the other will have photos of my (soon to be) husband. I am so excited, I think it will be one of the most memorable things about my wedding! Thanks for the idea! :)

• September 3, 2012 1:07 pm

That sounds totally wonderful!! If you think of it, after the big day, I’d love to share a photo of it with my readers.

• valerybrennan permalink
        September 3, 2012 1:13 pm

I’ll try to remember to do that! It’s on September 21st, so I don’t have much time to forget haha :)

12. Dona Johnson permalink
    September 20, 2012 7:16 am

Love this pallet divider!! Gotta have one! Can you tell me what type and size hinges you used for this piece? Thank you so much!

• September 20, 2012 11:04 am

Ummm, “big” ones! I do not remember the size! I think they were like 4-5 inches long on each side of the hinge? Hope it helps!

• Dona Johnson permalink
        September 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks, Staci!!! I’m going to have this made in about two weeks and I can’t wait! Your pages are wonderful!!

13. September 24, 2012 10:55 pm

How heavy do you think these things are? And if I’m looking at them right–they’ve got horizontal hinges as well, right? holding the top/bottom ones together? If they were outside and the wind hit them, would they fold/fall?
    o.0 just wondering. Thinking a fence like this would be perfect for our yard.
    Great project!

• September 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks for all your questions, Leah! I think if you were making a fence out of these for your yard, then you should definitely check with the city ordinances as far as proper fencepost depth, and put fenceposts into the ground as you would with any other fence. Other than that, you could attach the pallets to those using extra long screws!
      We happened to attach the bottom ones to the top ones using hinges because that’s what we had on hand, but you could use other metal or wood pieces–something longer would probably be more secure.

14. Mary permalink
    September 25, 2012 3:43 pm

Is the pallet divider attached to the wall at all? Or is it free standing?

• September 25, 2012 4:19 pm

This is free standing. You could attach it to the wall for added safety.

15. Jami permalink
    October 12, 2012 6:48 pm

I’m attempting to make these for a fundrasing event. I was just taking a second look and was wondering if you removed the back pieces of the pallet?

• October 13, 2012 9:52 am

Nope; most pallets have more boards on one side than the other–but they’re there. If you removed them they might get off balance, I think.

16. C. Yancey permalink
    March 29, 2013 5:54 am

What a great idea! I really needed something inexpensive to divide off a workspace from my jewelry shop. Thanks for sharing.

• March 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Ah! What a perfect solution! You can even nail some displays to one side. Glad to be of some inspiration!

17. April 8, 2013 11:54 pm

thanks for share these informative ideas, ……. a lots of thanks.. its very useful.

18. April 14, 2013 6:07 am

I hope no one else has asked this… I’m sure I’ve read all the comments… but are you using the pallet as is? You didn’t take them apart at all? So it’s just 4 full pallets? I’ve got them in my garage ready to go… :)

• April 14, 2013 11:02 am

Yep, 4 pallets, as-is. My hubby made sure to get clean ones that were all about the same size, so we didn’t need to do anything to them!

19. Sam W permalink
    June 20, 2013 12:25 pm

I’m SO glad I found this! I’ll be using it as a room divider for our wedding venue. Thank you so much!

20. September 9, 2013 5:19 pm

What did you hook them together with. I am getting ready 2 move in a small open aprement an this will be great.

21. October 7, 2013 2:25 am

I’ve been wanting a room divider for my craft room for a long time and this is the answer!

It’s not too precious so I can decorate/un-decorate/re-decorate at will without having to pre-plan for studs or worry about marring the surface.

I have a half wall that I stuck some push pins into just under the trim so the holes wouldn’t show and looped a length of yarn as my “display board”. I’ve found that wooden clothes pins, large and small are great holder-on-ers, plus they give me something else to craft!

I’ve also stuck a couple of push pins through my craft lamp shade and hung a bider clip on it, which also works with a magnet that looks like a push pin with a binder clip.

My third thought upon seeing this [1 was cheap! 2 was “we have a stack of pallets] was to take some ribbon or butcher’s twine to wind/weave around the slats and from front to back to replace my yarn string.

The possibilities with this are almost endless. Plus,this would be a great place to audition different paint colours or designs on a bigger space before committing to something.

Thanks for posting this. Seems to be an obvious, brilliant, “why didn’t I think of that” solution.

22. March 20, 2014 3:28 pm

okay it looks nice and all but you did not leave the how to do this ? or I did not see the intructions for it . lol how are we sppose to do it ourselves withought the know how instructions

23. May 31, 2014 11:31 pm

Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you been blogging
    for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is wonderful, as well as the content!

24. Louise R. permalink
    June 1, 2014 6:02 pm

Any ideas on stabilizing the wall. I need for walls in my antique booth. LANdlord won’t let us put nail \s or hooks in to the building wall. I can’t let it fall down. Help?

• June 2, 2014 10:07 am

Hi Louise,
      You can attach some wood stabilizing pieces to the bottom of them that would run along the floor a foot or two in each direction (front and back).

25. Robin permalink
    July 8, 2014 12:20 pm

I LOVE this idea! This would be a perfect solution to my predicament. My mother had a stroke and is moving into the livingroom while she rehabs at my house (she’s unable to walk up the stairs right now). We moved a twin bed & dresser down there but obviously she’ll need some privacy. I love the style & flexibility of your pallet divider. I’m thinking about putting up 2 sets like yours & create a ‘door way’ btwn the 2.

26. July 13, 2014 2:36 pm

This is a interesting article. ty :)

27. July 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Just wanted you to know I love the pallet room divider — I so have the perfect spot for one !! Thank you for sharing

28. August 20, 2014 9:48 am

Love this!!! Perfect idea for my situation.

29. September 3, 2014 12:16 pm

Wow! There sure are A lot of things you could do with these pallets! Room divider, Fence a back yard table! COOL!!! I made a plant holder out of mine!

30. September 26, 2014 7:37 am

Thanks for this! My, now teenage, son just moved down into our basement and I want to partition off his area without spending a ton of cash. I’ll probably connect them to the wall somehow, though, because when he and his brother start fooling around, I could see them crashing down. He loves the look of it, though. Thanks again.

31. Evelyn permalink
    November 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks! How would you recommend attaching these to a wall, especially in rentals where you may want to avoid huge holes in the wall?

• November 26, 2014 10:24 am

If you want to avoid putting holes in the wall, try adding stabilizing pieces of wood that run along the floor to the bottom of the pallets with L-brackets!

Trackbacks