Skip to content

Dorm Room Decor

June 7, 2012

Hey, youngster. I know your graduation party is coming up and you’re gonna have some money burning a hole in your pocket. Did you know that dorm rooms are boring, personality-less spaces? With white walls and tile floors? Well, they are… unless you use your graduation money to spruce things up! Better yet, stretch your dollars as far as they can go by shopping exclusively in the clearance section!

That’s right, I placed a random and completely unnecessary parameter on my inspiration board. Everything pictured is on sale at Urban Outfitters. RIGHT NOW! Which means that it won’t be terribly long until these links are obsolete, I admit this. I believe that you, future Dean’s List scholar, can figure out how to do the same with other clearance objects in the future. (Note: I was not perked by UO to shop specifically on the one site. I just felt like it.)

All of these items can be pictured for less than $200 total.

• Save yourself a ton of money and stuff your current well-worn comforter into this new Diamond Stamp Duvet Cover instead of buying a whole new set. Now you have more money for video games textbooks. $29.99.
  • This sweet cream-colored crochet curtain can help add a bit of warmth and texture to your sterile white abode. $39.99.
  • You know what’s expensive? Rugs. You know what’s cold? Tile. Use this budget-priced 60″ round rug (a pretty good size) to protect your delicate feet from the icy floor. $39.99
  • Think outside the box. This cute bike basket can be strapped around a wood slat on your standard-issue dorm bed and act as a bedside table, since finding a bedside table 3+ feet tall is… not easy. What? You haven’t lofted your bed yet? Kid, that is the surefire way to create more floor space for hanging out and watching Netflix doing homework. Get on it. $34.99.
  • Lastly, get a couple of cool prints to put on the wall. The light one comes already framed–isn’t that nice? $9.99 and $19.99.

Okay, now that I think about it… I want all of this stuff for my place!

Please share with your favorite high school grad.

About these ads
12 Comments leave one →
  1. June 7, 2012 4:38 pm

Holy cow!! I love this! I love your inspiration boards. I might pick your brain when it comes to re-decorating my place on a shoe-string budget.

• June 7, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks, Libby! My mantra is “clearance, clearance, clearance.” I’d be happy to help you :)

2. June 7, 2012 5:03 pm

Cute stuff, chica :)

xo,
    Ashley
    anylovelything.com

3. June 7, 2012 5:06 pm

After experiencing duvets with my host grandma in Paris, I’m completely in love!
    It’s so much cheaper and it will help me save money since I have commitment issues with sheets.

• June 8, 2012 10:21 am

I agree! Just find a duvet insert of appropriate comfort and warmness and then the sky’s the limit as far as color and design for the duvet covers!

4. June 7, 2012 7:40 pm

Great ideas! :) Decided to tweet it! :)

5. Athena permalink
    June 8, 2012 10:42 am

Some great ideas here! Out of curiosity, is the duvet for a Twin Long, and would another comforter from another bed type fit in it well (ie: standard twin, full, queen, etc)? Most dorm beds are Twin Long, which is definitely a big pain and usually forces people to buy an entirely new comforter to fit the odd sized bed.

But, I really like the little rug idea! I wish I’d thought of doing something like that back in the dorm days. It would have been cute (even though our room was carpeted, haha).The bike basket is also a really inventive idea, and something really useful for anyone finding themselves in an extra small room.

I’d have loved to have seen some things for desks as well, since most dorm rooms come with one (and they’re very boring little things), like a neat lamp or some fun containers for decoration and storage. I’ll pass this along to my family members still in their college years.

• June 8, 2012 10:53 am

The duvet cover is for a queen, actually, which measures 60×80 inches. A twin long is 39×80, so the duvet cover will be long enough to compensate for the extra 5 inches that Twin XL has on Twin (length of 75).
      Nobody ever complained about a little extra blanket on the sides, right? ;)

• Athena permalink
        June 9, 2012 11:44 am

Haha–especially if it can help cover what’s being stored under the raised bed.

6. Joyce Peterson permalink
    June 8, 2012 12:53 pm

Good ideas. I love the window curtain…