Skip to content

An Ode to In-Flight Magazines

August 27, 2012

If there’s one thing I like to do on the plane, it’s read a magazine. Usually it’s too bumpy or my neighbors are too irritating to dive into a lengthy classic novel, but the bite-size length of most magazine articles are just what I need to make the trip fly (yeah, I went there).

Yesterday, I had planned on playing iPhone games for the majority of my travel time, however, bubble mania one addictive game in particular apparently required that I be online to play? Wha? So I turned to the airline-provided magazine and was pleasantly surprised. Actually, whenever I fly American, I read most of their mag but I was pleased to find that United’s publication, Hemispheres, was just as good, if not better.

I read a light piece on road tripping, learned the must-dos if I ever find myself in Seattle, and more.

20120827-205020.jpg

The layout was especially fresh and pleasing. So, I came to a conclusion and decided to write a post about it: Airline magazines are super underrated! I mean, travel is an interest of mine, so naturally I’m drawn to most of the topics at hand. But unlike Condé Nast Traveler, for example, I can actually see myself seeing and doing the things included in these articles, not just fantasizing about it. Next time you’re flying, burn through one of these before reaching for the one you bought at the travel shop before boarding.

My all-time favorite regular mags are Sunset and Southern Living. What are yours?

About these ads
10 Comments leave one →
  1. August 28, 2012 12:39 pm

I was in an in-flight magazine once! It was the month where I flew to France for my year abroad, so it was a funny moment!

• August 28, 2012 9:26 pm

You were in one? How neat! Was it something you wrote, or was it about you?

• August 29, 2012 5:29 am

It was a picture of me taken at a job I used to do, promoting an event that the organisation put on. I never would have known except that everyone I knew from the French department at university (including me) was flying to France on easyjet that month!

• August 30, 2012 10:52 pm

So neat!

2. August 28, 2012 1:13 pm

So random but my husband and I were just talking about this yesterday. They’re great and definitely underrated!!

3. September 2, 2012 8:27 pm

I just got a subscription to Coastal Living after reading a ton that were at the house we stayed at for a week this summer! It’s my only magazine subscription and kind of makes me feel like I’m on vacation whenever it arrives. The best $10 I’ve spent in a while!

• September 2, 2012 8:27 pm

PS- So glad you’re doing the comment challenge again!!

• September 3, 2012 11:36 am

I love those kinds of magazines. Escapism in a very affordable way. :)

4. September 3, 2012 3:07 am

I’m beginning to think I’m a bit of a loser lol. The last time I went on a plane was in 2004. The magazine was rubbish lol. Maybe it was just the airline and when I was flying. Then again I did sleep some of the flight there and most of the flight back lol.

• September 3, 2012 11:37 am

Of course you aren’t a loser for not having flown! I agree with you though, the magazines used to not seem like a lot, but now I think they are getting much better. Either that or my tastes have matured to catch up to the adult-targeted articles!